[4] Posters featuring the programme's tagline, "Living off the landfill", were displayed across Britain and others appeared on the London Underground. 11:38 BST 21 Oct 2020 Pic: Sky UK/A&E Television Networks, The investigation has led to cancellation. But they soon warm to me after a few minutes.". He is a lovely guy, so funny to be around.. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. Log In. 699 posts. Among them is the number 88, which viewers of the show pointed out is a numerical code used by white supremacists to mean Heil Hitler. 'We didn't stay in touch but unless he's changed since then, he definitely was not a racist at all. Calling it "an avoidable problem", the organisation said they hope the case will prompt Sky History and other channels to "conduct proper due diligence going forward". The channel said his face inking of the number 88 was in memory of the year his late father Trevor lost his life - and nothing to do with a code, fashioned around the numerical order of letters in the alphabet, meaning Heil Hitler. Sky said Darren Lumsden's face inking of the number 88 was in memory of the year his late father Trevor lost his life - and nothing to do with a code, fashioned around the numerical order of letters in the alphabet, meaning Heil Hitler. However, Mail Online claimed it had later spoken to Mr Lumsden's father Trevor who told the website: "I'm alive and kicking, so I'm not dead yet.". Ive already been stopped by people who have seen the adverts. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk. [6] The programme was criticised because it was filmed on an artificial landfill and for its choice of "fame hungry" contestants. 'I was quite surprised when I saw the pictures, he does look completely different. The comedian said: 'If you were in my town, you wouldn't be known as the woodman, you'd be known as the man with all the tattoos, surely they would take precedence. No one went on the show to become famous. Follow. I can see at least 5 recognised Nazi/white power tattoos on this guy's face. The champion's prize will be the chance to stage their own exhibition at the prestigious William Morris Gallery in London. The Independent was unable to reach Darren Lumsden for comment. 'Sky HISTORY is intolerant of racism and all forms of hatred and any use of symbols or numbers is entirely incidental and not meant to cause harm or offence. I built it all in my workshop and then fitted it. But after the channel tweeted a trailer introducing Darren, viewers were quick to single out one of his tattoos - a prominent '88' on his cheek - which they took as a right-wing symbol. Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? [37], An argument started in the camp between Jermaine and Selena on Day 15, which resulted in some participants stating that they felt intimidated by his actions. One participant, Darren Lumsden, was accused of having a Nazi symbol on his face after the Sky History channel posted a clip from the show online. ", :: Subscribe to the Backstage podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker. Seating being erected on The Mall outside Buckingham Palace, central London, ahead of King Charles IIIs Coronation. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. Britain's Top Woodworker is AXED by Sky after viewers spotted 'Nazi' tattoos on contestant's face Darren Lumsden from Bristol has a number of numerical tattoos including '88' on his cheek, which can. 'I have read the article and have passed it on to the investigating team. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) describes this as one of the most common white supremacist symbols. ", "Rubbish music highlights environmental waste", "TV Review Dumped, Channel 4, Tuesday, 9pm", "War, death and rubbish for spring on Channel 4", "3.4m return for seconds of 'Hell's Kitchen', "Last night on television: Coming Down the Mountain (BBC1)/Dumped (Channel 4)", "Now it's not even real rubbish on TV . But about 10 years ago I saw someone with facial tattoos and started to work with my tattooist on my look. [6] Coming Down the Mountain, also airing at the same time on BBC One, was watched by 4.7million and a 20% share. Darren Lumsden is appearing on the new series The Chop, Lee Mack, Rick Edwards and master craftsman William Hardie host The Chop. The Sky History Channel is finally investigating contestant Darren Lumsden's neo-Nazi tattoos, but only after serious pushback from viewers. Darren Lumsden AKA "The Woodman" was a contestant on The Chop SkyHistory Announcing it would now not be airing the rest of series, Sky History said in a statement: "Following an independent. UPDATE: Sky says Darren Lumsden has 'no links to racist groups' after Twitter storm. Sky History yesterday axed the new show before its first broadcast on Thursday after viewers spotted Darren appeared to have various 'Nazi tattoos' on his face. of the number 88 was in memory of the year he died. In a series of now deleted tweets ahead of the investigation, Sky History had denied the tattoos had any "political or ideological meaning". Darren's father has short term memory loss after a serious motorbike crash more than 30 years ago. In a statement on Twitter it said: "While we investigate the nature and meaning of Darrens tattoos we have removed the video featuring him from our social media, and will not be broadcasting any eps of The Chop until we have concluded that investigation. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. Sky History tweeted: 'Darren's tattoos denote significant events in his life and have no political or ideological meaning whatsoever. Sky History today thanked MailOnline for highlighting The Chop contestant Darren Lumsden's apparent lie about the origin of his controversial tattoos. 12:03 EDT 21 Oct 2020 Sky later said the clip had been pulled and future episodes of The Chop would not be broadcast until the nature and meaning of Darrens tattoos have been fully investigated. When you get to see the effort that goes into making these items its quite incredible. , updated 'I have my daughter on the back of my head and my son on my cheek. After working for the company for about 10 years he set up on his own focusing on making bespoke items from luxury kitchens to one off pieces of furniture. They include the number 88, which white supremacists use as a code for "Heil Hitler", with the letter H being the eighth letter of the alphabet, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). Sky paused the screenings of all episodes and removed all clips of Mr Lumsden from its social media feeds and launched an investigation. The secret mine that hid the Nazis' stolen treasure. [33][34] Website TV Scoop said that the programme was "a great experiment", but did not approve of the inclusion of "fame hungry" participants and compared the programme to the most recent series of Big Brother. Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. No one went on the show to become famous. ", Historian Elizabeth Boyle, of Maynooth University, tweeted: WHAT THE F***, @HISTORYUK ? ', The interview was met with negative tweets, including one from Luke O'Riordan calling the channel 'morons' and asking: 'Are you for real. But Mr Lumsden's father, 66-year-old Trevor Lumsden, has told the Daily Mail he was indeed alive and had not seen his son for some years. Viewers also raised concerns about some of his other markings, claiming they included other numerals that could be associated with white supremacist slogans. The Campaign Against Antisemitism expressed concern about the tattoos. What a terrible coincidence., Following the broadcasters second statement, Bad Education actor Ethan Lawrence tweeted: I hope your investigation dives deeper than your background checks, which failed to notice multiple Nazi tattoos on his literal face.. 'There is no further comment to make at this stage. The Chop: Britains Top Woodworker has drawn comparisons with The Great British Bake Off and sees 10 of Britains best carpenters, carvers and woodworkers compete on a series of tasks overseen by comedian Lee Mack and presenter Rick Edwards. [24] The final episode of the programme attracted 1.9million viewers and an audience share of 8%, while 4.2million viewed Hell's Kitchen, a 19% audience share. Mr Lumsden, who grew up in Frenchay, told Bristol Live in an interview published ahead of the shows first episode on 15 October that he started started to work with his tattooist on his look 10 years ago after seeing someone with facial tattoos. But hopefully it will come across on the show that Im a bit of a character. Sky History tweeted: 'Darren's tattoos denote significant events in his life and have no political or ideological meaning whatsoever. Its about much more than just wood, he said. Doing such unusual, one off projects, youve got to be able to do anything, he said. A man claiming to be the father of a Bristol carpenter says he is "very much alive and kicking" - after Sky bosses said he was dead. The first episode aired on 15 October. 'But if they are saying I'm dead I'd like them to know I'm not.'. 'Trevor has short term memory loss after a brain injury in a motorbike accident but he remembers his two sons. A TV contest for carpenters has been pulled from Sky schedules over concerns about one of its contestant's tattoos. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Sky History says 88 represents the year his father died. Hosted by Lee Mack, Rick Edwards and master craftsmen William Hardie, the carpentry competition sees the contestants gather in Epping to whittle, carve and chop their way to the final, to see who will be crowed Britains Top Woodworker. She added: 'During the show he didn't have any tattoos on his face but he definitely wasn't a Nazi or a racist. This client in Bath was looking to create a cinema room at his property but wanted it to replicate the inside of the Millennium Falcon. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. A spokesperson for Sky History told The Independent the channel has no further comment while the investigation is underway. It has now announced further broadcasts of the series will be scrapped. Sky History's The Chop axed over contestant's 'far-right' tattoos, Darren Lumsden appeared as a contestant on Sky History show The Chop. ', He continued: 'There's also:1/11 = AK = Aryan Knights 3/11 = 3 K = KKK 109 = the claim that Jews have been expelled from 109 nations throughout history, sometimes coupled with 110 = in the hope that the US will be the next one.'. Sky History has axed its new woodworking show The Chop after producers said a contestant's tattoos "could be connected to far-right ideologies". Sky History claim 88 is the year his father died. 'Sky HISTORY is intolerant of racism and all forms of hatred and any use of symbols or numbers is entirely incidental and not meant to cause harm or offence. When I first walked into the room and saw him there, I was a bit shocked. But after the channel tweeted a trailer introducing Darren, viewers were quick to single out one of his tattoos - a prominent '88' on his cheek - which they took as a right-wing symbol. 19:33 BST 21 Oct 2020. The comedian said: 'If you were in my town, you wouldn't be known as the woodman, you'd be known as the man with all the tattoos, surely they would take precedence. He found himself at the centre a Twitter. All in all The Chop is going to be a great watch. "But if they are saying I'm dead, I'd like them to know I'm not.". Darren Lumsden said the "88" referred to his dad's death Credit: Sky History However, Trevor Lumsden, 66, was stunned to hear he had been described as dead after a clip of his woodworker son. Sky History said there was an innocent explanation for the number, but axed the show hours later. Numbers inked on tattooed contestant Darren Lumsden's face and head have links to Nazism and white supremacists. Darren says those tuning into the show are in for a treat. When asked to comment on Trevor's interview in the Mail Online, Sky told Bristol Live: "All measures are being taken with the legal investigation including the latest news stories. The group continued to build their shelter on, Selena was the only person contributing to dump life on, Lawrence and Ian took Rob's comments into consideration on, Sasha took charge of the construction of the sauna on, Lawrence lead the group on the reconstruction of the shelter on, The group constructed the shelter's roof for most of, Edwin, Sasha, Jermain and Ian woke at 5:30am on, The participants celebrated their final night on the dump with a party on, This page was last edited on 15 April 2023, at 23:22. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. I'm alive and kicking so I'm not dead yet.'. Personal trainer and actressSasha Gardner, 38, met Mr Lumsden on aChannel 4 reality show called Dumped in 2007,in which contestants survived on other people's rubbish in a landfill site for three weeks. [9], 11 participants, who were not initially informed of their task, must live on a purpose-made rubbish dump adjacent to a working landfill site for 21 days after being left equipped only with a sleeping bag, drinking can and one roll of lavatory paper each. [5], Dumped received relatively low viewing figures for a peak time programme on a terrestrial channel. Sky History today thanked MailOnline for highlighting The Chop contestant Darren Lumsden's apparent lie about the origin of his controversial tattoos. Sign up to our daily newsletter using the box at the top of this article, or by clicking here to see all of our newsletters. While we further investigate the nature, and meaning, of Darrens tattoos, we have removed the video featuring him from our social media pages, and will not be broadcasting any episodes of The Chop: Britains Top Woodworker until we have concluded that investigation, the statement said. The reality show - which was in the style of The Great British Bake Off - was on the hunt for "Britain's top woodworker", and featured 10 contestants taking on challenges in Epping Forest, Essex. Sky History stands against racism and hate speech of all kinds, they added in a statement. Most populous nation: Should India rejoice or panic? Amongst the various numerical tattoos on his body, 1988 is the year of his father's death. 'These tattoos will be plainly visible to viewers on the show, including younger viewers, which is unacceptable. [11] Every person working on the programme was given tetanus, polio and hepatitis vaccinations for their safety. "Amongst the various numerical tattoos on his body, 1988 is the year of his fathers death. AETN UK and Sky History stand against racism and hate speech of all kinds.". [32] However, Nigel Kendall of the same newspaper called the programme "entertaining" and its contestants "likeable", while Paul Hoggart said that it gets its point across. However, a trailer for the show featuring Darren sparked. For Darren, working alongside Lee Mack his favourite comedian was a dream come true. and It said the number 88 on Mr Lumsden's cheek referred to 1988, the year of his father's death. Read about our approach to external linking. 969 Followers, 2,014 Following, 699 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Drew Lumsden (@drewlumsden) drewlumsden. ', The interview was met with negative tweets, including one from Luke O'Riordan calling the channel 'morons' and asking: 'Are you for real. The contestants who "survived" the 21 days and used only what they found on the dump were awarded 20,000 to share equally between them. [13][14], Described as Channel 4's "biggest marketing campaigns of the year", Dumped was promoted via various methods. "The contestant continues to strenuously deny that he has, or ever had, far-right leanings. Sky History was quick defend Mr Lumsden, saying the tattoo was in memory of his father who died in 1988. In addition to core courses on corporations and contracts, his teaching and . "When some people first meet me they are a bit shocked, admittedly. They are just me. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Described as Channel 4's "biggest marketing campaigns of the year", Dumped was promoted via various methods. Amongst the various numerical tattoos on his body, 1988 is the year of his father's death. The Campaign Against Antisemitism expressed concern about the tattoos. Historian Dr Elizabeth Boyle from Maynooth University in Ireland echoed the group's words, telling Sky News: "Sky History have made the right decision, although they should have done their due diligence before it got this far. The production team carried out extensive background checks on all the woodworkers taking part in the show, that confirmed Darren has no affiliations or links to racist groups, views or comments. Drew Lumsden "I am an old woman, named after my mother." This Account is Private. Darren Lumsden, a carpenter on Sky History's new programme The Chop: Britain's Top Woodworker, became the centre of attention after a promotional video showed several tattoos visible on his. Explore in 3D: The dazzling crown that makes a king. A spokesperson for the group said: 'Sky HISTORY has made a terrible mistake by including in 'The Chop' an individual adorned with what appear to be neo-Nazi tattoos without providing serious evidence to show that the tattoos mean something other than how they appear. Mr Lumsden has not responded to BBC requests for comment. Sky History has announced they are cancelling the programme after an intenal investigation found contestant Darren Lumsden's facial tattoos 'could be linked to the far-right'. There is so much talent and its going to be a really fun programme to follow and see who is crowned the winner., The Chop: Britains Top Woodworker premieres on Sky HISTORY Thursday 15 th October at 9pm. Wednesday 21 October 2020 14:04, UK Darren Lumsden appears as a contestant on Sky History show The Chop. Facebook gives people the power. The numbers 23 and 16 are also tattooed on the side of his head - a numeric symbol used by white supremacists to signify "white power", referring to the position of the letters W and P in the alphabet, the ADL says. 'Darren appears to have these two on his face 88 = HH = Heil Hitler 23/16 = WP = White Supremacy There's also: 18 = AH = Adolf Hitler 1488: a reference to the so-called 14 words, coined by white supremacist terrorist David Lane. I'm alive and kicking so I'm not dead yet. He described Trevor as a lovely man and very much alive. 'But hopefully it will come across on the show that I'm a bit of a character.'. Mr Lumsden, who grew up in Frenchay, told Bristol Live in an interview published ahead of the show's first episode on 15 October that he started started to work with his tattooist on his "look". The Sky History channel broadcast a trailer on social media this week featuring one of the contestants, Darren Lumsden, a carpenter from Bristol. Join Facebook to connect with Darren Lumsden and others you may know. I'm alive and kicking so I'm not dead yet.'. . 'Even though it was only a short time, you spend a lot of time with people in a situation like that and he was never a problem.'. One participant, Darren Lumsden, was accused of having a Nazi symbol on his face after the Sky History channel posted a clip from the show online. Facebook Twitter Trevor told MailOnline: 'I'm here aren't I?' [6] The second episode was watched by 1.7million, compared to the 3.6million that watched the opening episode of the third series of ITV1's Hell's Kitchen. The number 88 is often used as a numerical code for Heil Hitler, as H is the eighth letter in the alphabet. 'Some people ask for selfies with me. The father added: 'I haven't seen Darren for some years, I didn't know he had tattoos over his face or that he was going to be on TV. I've already been stopped by people who have seen the adverts. But then a man called Trevor said he is. Pic: Sky UK/A&E Television Networks. However before announcing that they would not be broadcasting the show, the channel defended Darren's tattoos, claiming that '1988 is the year of his father's death' and that the tattoos 'have no political or ideological meaning'. Tom Bedford 'But they soon warm to me after a few minutes. Liked by Darren Rosenlund I had an awesome day at work yesterday. 'I have my daughter on the back of my head and my son on my cheek. [24] The penultimate episode was viewed by 1.5million viewers and had a 7% audience share, while Hell's Kitchen received 3.4million viewers and a 15% audience share. Darren's father has short term memory loss after a serious motorbike crash more than 30 years ago. The series sees 10 contestants compete over nine weeks of carpentry challenges. This was one of the more unusual projects, said Darren.